Having a blog on your website allows you to regularly share high quality content with your target audience. This allows you to build your credibility, increase your web traffic, expand your network, build relationships and achieve many other great outcomes for your business.
If you already have a blog, or you have plans to create a new blog or add a blog to your existing website, here are 11 things you need to know, which I learned at a ProBlogger training event in 2010.
11 Things you Need to Know for Blogging Success
1. Maintaining high quality content should be at the core of everything you do. You are only as good as the last article you wrote.
2. The more you know about your reader, the better placed you are to know where to find them and personalise your writing to suit them.
3. Put yourself where your potential reader’s hang out – places like social media, live networking events and online forums.
4. Blogging is all about providing ongoing value for your readers. Your copy needs to be good enough to attract new readers and keep your existing readers happy.
5. If you’re aiming to make money from your blog, you’ll only be able to do so if your web visitors convert.
6. Build a list – start as early as possible.
7. If you lose the trust of your readers it is very difficult to get it back.
8. Know your niche and your positioning – and make sure you have a point of difference from other bloggers.
9. Never call yourself an expert – aim to let other’s do it for you.
10. If you want your content to go viral, remove all barriers, such as registration forms. People will share your content if they like and if they think they are allowed to.
11. Building a successful blog takes time – allow at least 9 to 12 months.
We look forward to continuing to provide you with eCourses, tips and resources to make your website sing