Apple Maps are now being used instead of Google Maps by iPhone and iPad users.
In this article you’ll discover:
- Why every local business owner needs to care about Apple Maps
- How to check if your business is listed
- How to Report the Problem if the listing is wrong
- How to Report the Problem if your business isn’t listed.
The facts on Apple Maps
- The Apple Maps app comes installed on the iPhone 5, replacing the Google Maps app
- The Apple Maps app replaces the Google Maps app when iPhone and iPad users upgrade to the latest iOS 6 version of their mobile operating system (launched on 19 September), the Apple Maps app will replace the Google Maps app.
If you have an iPhone or iPad and followed the prompts in the pop up message to upgrade to the new operating system, your map icon now links to Apple Maps instead of Google Maps.
Why is this change important for local businesses?
While Google Maps get data from across the whole web, Apple Maps rely on third-party providers, such as TomTom.
So if your business wasn’t listed correctly, or at all, with the third-party providers that Apple is getting the data from, it might not be listed correctly, or at all, on Apple Maps.
And that’s not all that’s different.
- As reported in Macworld, Apple Maps have been widely criticised for errors like “relocated landmarks, buildings in rivers and missing train stations”.
- The Wall Street Journal gives a good review of issues with Apple Maps in Apple Makes a Wrong Turn as Users Blast Map Switch.
Apple are working on improvements. An online letter from Apple’s CEO, Tim Cook, says:
We are extremely sorry for the frustration this has caused our customers and we are doing everything we can to make Maps better.
There are already more than 100 million iOS devices using the new Apple Maps… in just over a week, iOS users with the new Maps have already searched for nearly half a billion locations.
In terms of mobile phone usage, market share of Android phones is increasing but a lot of people still have iPhones. In Australia iOS has the second biggest share of SmartPhone sales.
What does this mean for local business owners?
People are using Apple Maps on iPhones to search for local businesses.
Or to search specifically for your business.
But your business might not be listed there.
What do you need to do next?
The first step is to check if your business is listed on Apple Maps.
- To do this open Apple Maps on an iPhone or iPad.
- Using the search box at the top of the app search on the name of your business
I did a test using my business, Click-Winning Content, which is located in the Melbourne suburb of Fitzroy. In this case there is a search result identified by the red pin.
The second step is to check if the details are correct
Click on the red pin and an information box will appear.
The phone number, address and website address is listed.
If the information is incorrect
Click on “Report a Problem” as shown in the screen shot above in the bottom right hand corner of the information box.
This opens another box that gives you different options for reporting the problem.
Follow the steps to report the problem.
If your business is not listed
Click on the bottom right hand corner of the screen, where you see the page turned up.
In the middle of the screen you’ll see “Report a Problem” (refer screen shot below).
Click on “Report a Problem”, then on the middle option “Location is missing” and follow the steps to add your business details.
For more information, also read Apple Maps and Local Search – Here’s What Marketers Need to Know.
Note – As Yelp is linked to Apple Maps, it’s also important that your business listing in Yelp is correct and has reviews.
Stay tuned for a future article on updating your Yelp listing, or search “Yelp” + “Your business name” in Google to see if there is already a listing there that you can claim and update if needed.
Too busy to check your Apple Maps listing, or don’t have an iPhone or iPad?
Send me an email. I’ll check if your listing is there and if it’s correct. If your business is not listed correctly I’ll Report the Problem for only AUD 49 per location. Note – this offer is only available to businesses with an Australian address.
If the business details that you’d like listed are the same as those on your website, all I need is your website address to do the FREE check.
Have you been using Apple Maps? What has your experience been like?
Please let us know in the comments below.